The Busan Biennale is a biannual international contemporary art show that integrated three different art events held in the city in 1998: the Busan Youth Biennale, the first biennale of Korea that was voluntarily organized by local artists in 1981; the Sea Art Festival, an environmental art festival launched in 1987 with the sea serving as a backdrop; and the Busan International Outdoor Sculpture Symposium that was first held in 1991. The biennale was previously called the Pusan International Contemporary Art Festival (PICAF) before it launched.
The biennale has its own unique attribute in that it was formed not out of any political logic or need but rather the pure force of local Busan artists’ will and their voluntary participation. Even to this day their interest in Busan's culture and its experimental nature has been the key foundation for shaping the biennale’s identity.
This biennale is the only one like it in the world that was established through an integration of three types of art events such as a Contemporary Art Exhibition, Sculpture Symposium, and Sea Art Festival. The Sculpture Symposium in particular was deemed to be a successful public art event, the results of which were installed throughout the city and dedicated to revitalizing cultural communication with citizens.The networks formed through the event have assumed a crucial role in introducing and expanding domestic art overseas and leading the development of local culture for globalized cultural communication. Founded 38 years ago, the biennale aims to popularize contemporary art and achieve art in everyday life by providing a platform for interchanging experimental contemporary art.
- Period Sep. 11 - Nov. 20, 2010(71 days)
- VenueBusan Museum of Art, Busan Yachting Center, Gwangalli Beach
- Theme‘Living in Evolution'
- 158 Artworks of 72 artists(team) from 23 countries
- 127 Artworks of Busan Museum of Art(B1 5, 1F 6, 2F 74, 3F 42 Artworks)
- 9 Artworks of Busan Yachting Center(3 Artworks of Building A, 6 Artworks of Building
- 19 Artworks of Gwangalli Beach
- 3 Artworks of Samrak Park, Haeundae, Children's Grand Park(1 Artwork of Each)
- PeriodSep. 12 - Nov. 20, 2010(70 days)
※Busan Cultural Center, Exhibition hall at the Busan City Hall(Sep. 12 - 30, 2010)
- VenueBusan Cultural Center, Exhibition hall at the Busan City Hall, Geumyeonsan gallery
- Artworks180 Artworks of 180 artists from 3 countries
(144 of Korean, 29 of Chinese, 7 of Japanese)
- CommissionerLee, Beom heon
- Organization<'Now, Asian Art'>
- Today's exhibition for Korean, Chinese, Japanese artists : 21 Artworks of 21 artists, Busan Cultural Center, Geumyeonsan gallery
- Hyper realism exhibition for Korean, Chinese, Japanese artists : 44 Artworks of 44 artists, Exhibition hall at the Busan City Hall
2010. 8. 28∼11. 20(85days), 173 artists from 29 spaces
1. Exhibition at alternative spaces
'Evolution of instinct'
- Sep. 15 - Oct. 28, 2010(44 days), Art Factory in dadaepo(Exhibition hall, Sky Garden)
2010 Traditional Market Revitalization Project- Market Biennale
- Sep. 11 - Nov. 20, 2010, Bujeon Market (Busan Market Town), Exhibition hall at Busanjin-Gu Office
Gallery Festival Sep.
- 1 - Nov. 20, 2010, 26 Galleries in Busan, 81 artists
- Sep. 12, 2010 Auditorium of Busan Museum of Art
- Theme‘Living in Evolution'
- ParticipantsHan Hang-gil, Baik Young-jeh, Kim Hee-jae, Park Seon-wook, Kim Seong-won, Lee Hyun-jin, James P Graham, Cha Ki-Youl, Dinh Q. Le, Yishay Garbasz
Asian Biennale Forum
- Oct. 22, 2010, Auditorium of Busan Museum of Art
- ThemeEvaluation of 2010's Asian Biennale and discussion of the development
Asian Biennale Forum Belongs to,Participant,Position
||Sim Wan Hui
||Deputy Director of the Singapore Art Museum
||Head of curatorial team
Educational workbook for adolescents 'Busan Biennale Voyage on the Beagle'
- 2010. 9. 1∼11. 20
- DistributionTotal 19,800 volumes ※ 5,480 volumes of 2,696 Individual , 14,320 volumes of 142 Group
Art courses ‘Art Story'
- Oct. 2 - 30, 2010(5 times),
- Auditorium of the Busan Museum of Art
- LecturerLee Taeho, Park Manu, Ryu Byoung-Hak, Choi Tae-Man, Kim Won-bang
Exhibition Review Competition
- Oct. 11 - Nov. 10, 2010
- Inviting the public to the exhibition review contest, Online submission
- Participants32 people(Grand prize : Kang Sae-him, Kyeongbuk Andong-si)
- Oct. 2 - 30, 2010(5 times), Auditorium of the Busan Museum of Art
- Conversation Artists of Busan Biennale 2010 with audiences
- Participating artistsKim Jung-Myung, Kang Tae Hun, Kim Eunju, Lim Young Sun, Jung Hye Ryun, Ha Bongho, Koo Donghee, Lee Byungho, Cha Ki-Youl, Shin Sangho, Lee Ki bong, Shin Moo-kyoung