관리자 2020-12-23 18:19
Open Call for the Artistic Director of Sea Art Festival 2021
Busan Biennale Organizing Committee is looking for an artistic director for the Sea Art Festival 2021 through an international open call.
The Sea Art Festival, which had its inaugural edition in 1987, is unique as it is presented in Busan against the beautiful scenery of the sea.
Following its integration with the Busan Biennale,
the festival has been held independently in odd years since 2011, while the Biennale is hosted every even year.
The Sea Art Festival is an opportunity to reinterpret Busan and the sea as a source of inspiration
and artistic space and make art more enjoyable for everyone.
We would like to ask for the active participation of the curators who want to open a new chapter in the history of the Sea Art Festival.
○ Title of the position: Artistic Director of the Sea Art Festival 2021
○ Open call period: December 23, 2020 ~ January 16, 2021, 24:00, Korea Standard Time (25 days)
○ Number of position(s): one person or one team from local or international background
○ Roles and responsibilities
- Overall management of the exhibition
․ Set the exhibition theme and develop exhibition plan
․ Exhibition budgeting, selection of the artists and artworks, and installation and management of the works
- Develop and implement public programs
- Responsibilities related to PR and sponsorship
- Any other responsibilities specified in the contract
※ Artistic director shall work with the exhibition team in the Organizing Committee to deliver the exhibition
○ Term: contract date ~ December 2021
□ Qualifications that the Busan Biennale Organizing Committee is looking for include:
○ A forward-looking exhibition model based on the understanding of the history, culture, and local properties of Busan and the experimental characteristics and historical significance of the Sea Art Festival;
○ An understanding of and expertise in contemporary art and experience in a variety of exhibitions and/or curatorial work;
○ Contributions to the international networking of the Busan Biennale Organizing Committee;
○ Capability to carry out smooth communication both internally and externally in accordance with the policy of the Committee; and
○ Visit to and stay in Korea (Busan) for a certain period of time to ensure the smooth operation of the exhibition (in the event of Force Majeure, including COVID-19, additional consultation will be made).
□ Overview of the Sea Art Festival 2021
○ Exhibition Period: October, 2021 (30 days)
○ Candidates for exhibition venue
Daehang Saebaji Artificial Cave, Oeyangpo Port, coastal area, etc
Songjeong/ Ilgwang / Imnang Beach, Mipo ~ Cheongsapo
Habor areas in Yeongdo, International Cruise Terminal, Gamji Pebble Beach, Busan Port Bridge water park
* Applicants should choose one of the three exhibition areas above, select a specific location, and submit an exhibition proposal.
* They can choose all three areas depending on the nature of their proposal.
* In principle, such a proposal should be based on one of the above areas.
○ Project Budget: KRW 800,000,000
*Honorarium for the artistic director and exhibition team members, artist fee, artwork production and installation expense, travel expense for artists, exhibition operation expense, public program expense, general operating expenses, miscellaneous expense are included.
* Above budget does not include PR/Marketing expenses.
○ Sponsored by the Busan Metropolitan City, and Busan Biennale Organizing Committee
○ Organized by the Busan Biennale Organizing Committee
□ Personal Information
○ Please fill out all fields in the application.
□ Curatorial Experience
○ Please start with the most recent experience and make 5 most significant experiences in bold.
□ Sea Art Festival 2021 Proposal
○ A proposal should not exceed five pages. (Attachments are not included in the total number of pages.)
○ When choosing an area and a specific location, the applicant should present the reasons for their selections.
- Please state your choice of area and location in your proposal.
- A proposal can include all of the three exhibition areas.
- In principle, a proposal should be within the bounds of the areas, but it may include other areas in Busan depending on the idea behind the proposal (such as when the proposal involves certain mobility or movement from one place to another).
- As for specific locations, you may propose places that are not included in Attachment 3.
○ Please present promotional strategies and specific methods that fit the exhibition.
○ Please present an efficient funding idea for the exhibition which includes sponsorship from businesses and international organizations.
○ In the Additional Information section, please write any of your ideas that do not fit the other sections of the application.
* The interview will be based on the documents submitted.
□ Timeline and Process * The date is subject to change under certain circumstances
① Submission of the application (Jan. 3 ~ Jan. 16, 2021. 24:00, Korea Standard Time, 14 days)
② The Recommendation Committee to be convened to review applications (Jan. 22, 2021, planned)
③ Announcement of the shortlisted for interview (Jan. 23, 2021, planned)
④ The Selection Committee to be called for the presentation of the proposals and the interviews with the candidates (Jan. 27, 2021, planned)
* Please note that the selected applicants are required to take online interview on the date designated by the committee
* Interview will be conducted in Korean or English (Consecutive interpretation from English to Korean, and vice versa, will be provided)
⑤ Final selection to be announced (by January, 2021)
□ Submissions (please refer to the attachment)
○ Submission period: Jan. 3 ~ Jan. 16, 2021, 24:00, Korea Standard Time (14 days)
○ Required document: Application (up to 6 pages, in English)
○ Please submit the application via e-mail at email@example.com
○ Successful applicants will be notified via e-mail.
○ Applicants will be solely responsible for any consequences arising from non-compliance with the requirements, incorrect information, or omissions.
○ Applicants who provide incorrect information may be excluded from the application process.
If you have any further inquiries, please visit our website(http://www.busanbiennale.org/eng/) or contact us via e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org).
1. Sea Art Festival 2021 Application
Annex: Introduction to the Sea Art Festival