관리자 2023-02-27 13:53
Open Call for the Artistic Director of Busan Biennale 2024
The Busan Biennale Organizing Committee is pleased to announce the open call for the artistic director of the upcoming edition of the Busan Biennale in 2024.
Busan Biennale has presented a range of contemporary art trends over the last four decades while featuring the history of Busan and the changing urban structure since its inception in 1981 as the
Busan Youth Biennale. The latest edition of the Busan Biennale in 2022 showcased the narratives of Busan and their interconnection with various parts of the world and garnered acclaim from art critics
as well as audiences from home and abroad.
Those interested in creating artistic value for Busan as a city and leading future-oriented exhibition-making efforts for the upcoming iteration of the Busan Biennale are encouraged to apply for the
position of artistic director of the Busan Biennale 2024.
○ Goals of the exhibition
- To expand and reproduce the core values of the Busan Biennale, i.e., spontaneity, youth, and
experiments, and secure the values of the exhibition based on the locality of Busan;
- To explore and secure new exhibition venues focusing on Busan’s urban environment and popularity as well as its public appeal;
- To increase citizens’ and audience’s participation through various programs related to the exhibition; and
- To proactively develop partners and sponsors, including significant culture and art organizations in and outside Korea, in order to build a global network and relationships
○ Name of the Exhibition: Busan Biennale 2024
○ Exhibition Period: August – November 2024 (to be finalized)
○ Venues: Museum of Contemporary Art Busan (main venue), other possible venues in Busan
○ Project Budget: Approx. KRW 1,700,000,000 ※ Please note that the budget is subject to change
- The above budget includes an honorarium for the artistic director and exhibition team members,
artist fees, artwork production, installation expense, travel expense for artists, exhibition
operation expenses, public program expenses, general operating expenses, and miscellaneous
- Above budget does not include PR/Marketing expenses.
○ Hosted by the Busan Metropolitan City and Busan Biennale Organizing Committee○ Organized by the Busan Biennale Organizing Committee
○ Title of the position: Artistic Director of the Busan Biennale 2024
○ Open call period: February 27 – March 26, 2023, 24:00, Korea Standard Time (for 28 days)
○ Number of position(s): One person or one team from a local or international background
○ Employment type: Non-full-time
○ Term: Contract date - December 2024
○ An exhibition plan in line with the goals of the Busan Biennale 2024;
○ An understanding of and expertise in contemporary art and experience in exhibitions and/or
equivalent careers in exhibition curating;
○ Skills to cooperate with the local artists or curators in Busan;
○ Contributions to the global networking of the Busan Biennale; and
○ Visit to and stay in Korea (Busan) for a certain period to ensure the smooth preparation and
operation of the exhibition (in the event of Force Majeure, including COVID-19, further consultation will be made)
○ Overall management of the exhibition
- Setting the exhibition theme and development of exhibition plans
- Exhibition budgeting, selection of artists and artworks, and installation and management of the
○ Development and implementation of public programs
○ Responsibilities regarding PR and sponsorship
○ Working with the exhibition team, the PR/Marketing team, and the Academic/Public Program team
in the Organizing Committee
○ Any other duties of the artistic director specified in the contract
※ Artistic director shall work with the exhibition team within the Organizing Committee to deliver the exhibition.
○ Open Call Timeline
- Submission of application: February 27 – March 26, 2023 (for 28 days)
- The application shall be submitted by midnight KST (Korea Standard Time)
- Announcement of the shortlisted candidates for interviews: April 7
- Announcement of final selection: in April
○ Required Document
- An application form, including Consent to the Collection and Use of Personal Information (See Attachment)
○ How to Submit
- Please submit the completed form via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
[Email subject line and attached file name shall include the applicant’s name]
○ How to fill out the Application
- Please refer to the instructions within the Application Form.
- Additional materials other than the required documents listed above will not be reviewed or considered.
○ Selection Procedures
- Application Review: March 27 – April 6, 2023
- Announcement of the shortlisted candidates for interviews: April 7 (Fri.)
- Interview: April 13 (Thu.) ※ The interview will be conducted in Korean or English
(Consecutive interpretation from English to Korean, and vice versa, will be provided)
※ The date is subject to change under certain circumstances
○ Successful applicants will be notified via email.
○ The selected applicants are required to take an online interview on the date designated by the
○ Applicants will be solely responsible for any consequences arising from non-compliance with the
requirements, incorrect information, or omissions.
○ Applicants who provide false information may be excluded from the selection process.
○ Please prepare and submit your application form in MS word format (*.doc, *.docx).
If you have any further inquiries, please refer to the website (http://www.busanbiennale.org) or reach
out to email@example.com